The outcome of this fight left me with mixed emotions. I've never really liked Chris Byrd, but I admire his determination and passion for the game. I thought it was time for Chris to hang up the gloves after his fight with Klitchko, now I think the boxing commision should step in and ensure he hangs them up.
Byrd looked lethargic, slow, and weak against the very average Shaun George. He was knocked down in the opening round and wobbled again towards the end of the round. He was noticeably slower then George, and looked uncoordinated and old. I'm sure the weight loss had something to do with it, and yes, there are adjustments that need to be made moving from Heavyweight to Light Heavyweight, but Byrd looked outclassed. The fight ended with a knockout of Byrd in the 9th round.
To add insult to injury, Byrd dislocated his shoulder during the knockout. Althougth I haven't been a fan of Byrd, I have respect for what he's accomplished and hope he makes the responsible decision to retire and not follow in the footsteps of former champions like Holmes, Holyfield, and Ali who fought well past their prime.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Byrd vs. George
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yo, dat nigga go knocked the f!@# out!
Post a Comment