Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hopkins vs Calzaghe

Unlike most who watched the fight, I had Hopkins winning by a very small margin. I believe that even though his output decreased as the fight went along, he definately landed the more precise, effective punches. Calzaghe basically flurried whenever he was able to trap Hopkins on the ropes (which was not too often).

The first round knockdown was legit, but I don't think Calzaghe was hurt. I believe it was more of a balance issue than anything else. Hopkins is the slickest (and dirtiest) fighter around, but I give Calzaghe credit for decrypting the puzzle late in the fight.

Hopkins is a legend, Calzaghe is not, in addition, he (Calzaghe) certainly is not a "legend killer" as he kept proclaiming at the end of the fight. He was given a gift, and should be grateful he is still undefeated. I will credit where credit is due. Calzaghe is an elite fighter, but he is also the top dog in an error of alot of good fighters, but very few great fighters in the Light Heavy Weight class.

I think Calzaghe's next fight should definately be with the underrated Roy Jones Jr. His skills have diminshed lately, but judging by the Trinidad fight, he still has "it". Roy has the same tricks as Hopkins, but he's a little more skilled offensively and definately faster. The only question is will his chin hold up to Calzaghe's flurries?

No comments: